Department of Economics
The Department of Economics (ECON) offers programs that give students a good grounding in both theoretical and applied economics. The programs aim at preparing graduates to work in the private and public sectors. Students will be able to work in economics, business, law, public administration, international relations and related fields. The department boasts the largest number of tenured and tenure-track faculty members of professorial rank in Lebanon. Members of the faculty are engaged in research in many areas of economics and have gained local, regional and international recognition.
The programs under ECON are Bachelor of Science in Economics, Minor in Economics and the Master of Arts in Applied Economics (offers the opportunity to pursue the Cooperative Program with UChicago).
Economics Seminar Series
View our monthly seminars and lectures.
Why Study Economics?
Below is a video by the American Economic Association explaining what a career in Economics is about and what it has to offer to students.
News & Activities
- Call for Papers: 18th MEEA International Conference at LAU (Feb 01, 2019)
- Lebanese Econometric Study Group Convenes at LAU (Dec 12, 2018)
- Lecture: Out-of-Sample Exchange Rate Predictability in Developed and Emerging Markets (Nov 06, 2018)
- Oil Prices and Personal Consumption Expenditures: Does the Source of the Shock Matter? (Oct 01, 2018)
- The Effects of Economic Freedom on FDI Inflows: An Empirical Analysis (Jun 29, 2018)