Department of Economics
The Department of Economics (ECON) offers programs that give students a good grounding in both theoretical and applied economics. The programs aim at preparing graduates to work in the private and public sectors. Students will be able to work in economics, business, law, public administration, international relations and related fields. The department boasts the largest number of tenured and tenure-track faculty members of professorial rank in Lebanon. Members of the faculty are engaged in research in many areas of economics and have gained local, regional and international recognition.
The programs under ECON are Bachelor of Science in Economics, Minor in Economics and the Master of Arts in Applied Economics (offers the opportunity to pursue the Cooperative Program with UChicago).
Why Study Economics?
Below is a video by the American Economic Association explaining what a career in Economics is about and what it has to offer to students.
News & Activities
- Breaking Data Elitism in the Arab Region: The Role of the Arab Development Portal (Nov 29, 2017)
- AKSOB Economics Faculty Receive National Research Grant (Jan 23, 2017)
- “Banking and Monetary Policies in a Changing Financial Environment: A Regulatory Approach” (Dec 05, 2016)
- LAU Signs Student Exchange Agreement with University of Chicago (Oct 27, 2016)
- “Syria at War: Five Years On” (May 23, 2016)