Undergraduate and graduate programs
Tools, services and useful info
Bachelor of Science in Business Studies
Location: LAU Beirut & Byblos.
Duration: three years (for students admitted as sophomores).
Total Credits: 92.
The BS in Business Studies at AKSOB prepares students for the evolving world of business, equipping them with an essential knowledge enhanced by a deep insight into a selected field.
The program enables students to use the appropriate learning, technology and decision-making tools within their respective emphasis, in addition to understanding the global impact of economic conditions and cultural dimensions on the areas of emphasis.
The multi-faceted approach to business subjects, theories and trends, supported by project and case analysis work, develops a well-rounded graduate, one who is able to assess opportunities and challenges and is a sought-after candidate to employers across all industries.
The program serves as groundwork for further study in business, such as the Master of Business Administration, as well as in other fields.
According to their interests and aspirations, students pursuing this program may select the emphasis of their choice from the following list:
- Banking and Finance
- Family and Entrepreneurial Business Management
- Information Technology Management
- International Business
Program Goals and Outcomes
The BS in Business Studies program aims to prepare the students for the dynamics of today’s global business world, ensuring their active contribution to the development of society.
The graduate will:
- Have essential knowledge of various disciplines in business.
- Possess problem-solving capabilities.
- Have an awareness of social and ethical issues.
- Be committed to civic engagement.
- Use written and oral communication effectively.
Upon completion of the degree requirements, the graduate will be able to:
- Demonstrate essential knowledge acquired in the following disciplines: accounting, economics, finance, management and marketing.
- Propose a solution to a business problem using quantitative and/or qualitative reasoning.
- Examine the social and ethical issues involved in a business case.
- Demonstrate the process and benefits of being engaged in civic service.
- Deliver an effective oral presentation.
- Demonstrate effective written communication.
Job placement and demand for business is high and constant. Majoring in business allows permeability and adaptability in the market, giving a wider scope of fields and ensuring the marketability of the business graduate.
The career areas related to business are many, some of which are:
- General Management
- Human Resources
- Financial Management
- Real Estate and Construction
- Accounting, Audit and Cost Management
- Operations and Project Management
- Marketing and PR
- Market Research
- IT and Info Systems Management
- Transportation and Logistics
- Non-profit and Development
Admission to any of the undergraduate programs offered at the Adnan Kassar School of Business follows the LAU general undergraduate requirements.
All undergraduate applicants must submit:
- One recent passport-size photos (taken within the past six months).
- A clear photocopy of your identity card or passport.
- Proof of English proficiency via your official TOEFL, EEE, or SAT I writing section, the IELTS or the ACT Writing section. The IELTS and the ACT Writing are effective Fall 2016.
- Your official SAT I (math, critical reading, and writing) scores or the ACT effective Fall 2016.
- Your certified official secondary school certificate. If it is not available yet, submit it to the Admissions Office on the campus of your choice as soon as it becomes available. Lebanese students with non-Lebanese diplomas must also submit the Equivalence of Lebanese Baccalaureate from the Ministry of Education.
- Official transcript from schools you attended in the last three years. If your grades from the last year or semester are not available when you apply, they should be sent as soon as they are available. If you have studied one year at university, you have to secure the grades of your last two years at school. Transcripts should be sent to the Admissions Office on the campus of your choice in a sealed and stamped envelope.
Lebanese students who graduated from a non-Lebanese program must submit:
- The equivalence to the Lebanese baccalaureate from the Lebanese Ministry of Education.
Note: If this document is not available when you submit your application, you may submit it as soon as it is available.
Students transferring from another university must submit:
- Official transcripts of your grades from your current university along with a course catalog. Undeclared transcripts cannot be accepted after enrollment.
- Please read about the requirements for transfer applicants, as you may need to provide other documentation depending on your particular case.
To obtain the BS in Business Studies degree with emphasis, the student should complete a total of 92 credits composed of:
- Business Core Requirements (33 credits)
- Emphasis Requirements (respective of each emphasis found below)
- Business Electives (9 credits)
- Liberal Arts Curriculum LAC (28 credits)*
- Free Electives (the remainder of credits, respective of the emphasis)
*The 34 credits of general university requirements minus 6 credits for ECO201 & ECO202 (business core requirements) that are also included in the LAC Core Requirements (36 credits).
|BUS213||Business Law and Ethics||3|
|ITM211||Information Technology Management||3|
|MGT201||Introduction to Management||3|
|MGT420||Strategic Planning and Policy Formulation||3|
|MKT201||Introduction to Marketing||3|
|OPM301||Operations and Production Management||3|
In addition to the core requirements, each emphasis has its own number of credits to be completed in the selected emphasis area. To view the suggested study plan for each emphasis, click on the appropriate link below.