Undergraduate and graduate programs
Tools, services and useful info
Master of Arts in Applied Economics
Location: LAU Beirut.
Duration: two years (full-time)
Total Credits: 30.
The study of economics has changed considerably since the introduction of mathematical and econometric methods of analysis. The Master of Arts (MA) in Applied Economics provides interested candidates with an in-depth understanding of economic theory and applied quantitative methods.
The program prepares future professionals for jobs as applied economists in the private and public sectors. The student will learn how to gather, read and assess economic data, as well as conduct relevant policy analyses that are most valued by businesses, organizations, and policymakers. The program is also designed to be an intermediate step to the PhD in Economics or related fields.
Starting fall 2020, Distinguished students can benefit from a full scholarship . Apply before June 30, 2020.
Upon completion of the MA in Applied Economics the graduate will:
- Possess advanced knowledge in the areas of microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics.
- Be capable of using economic theory and econometric models for assessing public policies.
- Understand and work with advanced macroeconomic and microeconomic models.
- Apply advanced mathematical and econometric techniques to analyze economic data.
- Interpret and critically evaluate articles in the economics research literature.
- Use advanced economic theory and empirical methods to evaluate public policy decisions.
- Critically analyze government economic policies.
The MA in Applied Economics will open doors to many opportunities of growth and of better income.
Since applied economics deals with the application of theories and research, graduates may find diversified jobs in business, government, social development and non-profit organizations, consultancy, among others. The student may be able to pursue a PhD and continue in academia or work in:
- Corporate Business Economics/ Financial Consultancy
- Government Consultancy
- International Affairs
- Policy Making and Assessment
The program consists of 30 credits with core courses emphasizing advanced microeconomics, macroeconomics, econometrics and quantitative methods. A selection of diverse topics totaling 9 credits constitute the elective component. The topic courses survey current policy issues in local, regional and international contexts.
To obtain the MA degree, students should complete a total of 30 credits composed of:
- Core Requirements (18 credits)
- Elective Requirements (9 credits)
- Capstone Project (3 credits)
The Applied Economics Project course is a research project written under the supervision of a faculty member. Students are required to use economic models and tools to tackle an applied economics problem. Students are then required to present their work in a forum open for economics faculty and graduate students.
Core Requirements (18 credits)
|ECO831||Applied Econometrics I: Cross Section and Panel Data||3|
|ECO832||Applied Econometrics II: Time Series Data||3|
|ECO833||Applied Econometrics III: Empirical Strategies for Applied Microeconomics||3|
|ECO840||Mathematical and Computational Models in Applied Economics||3|
Electives (9 credits with minimum 6 credits in economics)
|ECO835||International Monetary Theory and Policy||3|
|ECO850||Environmental and Resource Economics||3|
|ECO855||Growth, Business Cycles and Economic Policy||3|
|ECO861||Economic Policies in the Middle East||3|
|ECO863||Challenges of Economic Development in the Middle East||3|
|ECO880||Special Topics in Economics||3|
|FIN835||Commercial Bank Management||3|
|FIN863||Modern Portfolio Management||3|
|OPM880C||Sp.Top.OPM: Operations Management||3|
|CSC688C||Top.CSC: Data Visualization||3|
|IGS725||Gender and Public Policy||3|
|INA831||Intl. Political Economy||3|
|MIG765||Migration and Development||3|
MA Project (3 credits)
|ECO898||Applied Economics Project||3|
Admission to the graduate programs offered at the Adnan Kassar School of Business follow the LAU general graduate requirements.
In addition to the following:
- Holders of a bachelor’s degree in economics, in any related field (such as finance with a minor in economics), or in a quantitative field (i.e. mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering) are eligible to apply.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required.