Dr. Hounaida El Jurdi
Hounaida El Jurdi is an Assistant Professor of Marketing at the Adnan Kassar School of Business. She holds a PhD in Marketing from the University of Auckland- New Zealand, an MBA and a BBA from the American University of Beirut. Hounaida was an assistant professor of marketing at AUB where she taught Customer Experience Design, Principles of Marketing, Marketing for Social Change, Consumer Behavior at the undergraduate level and Advertising and Brand Management at the graduate level. Her research interests are focused on consumer culture in non-western contexts using critical theoretical lens, with a specific focus on consumer identity, the body, and the politics of representation. In terms of methodology, my approach is mainly interpretive and encompasses ethnographic research, historical research, hermeneutic analysis, and action research. Her research is interdisciplinary in terms of theoretical grounding with a strong emphasis on transformative approaches focusing on ethical implications of marketplace practices and topics with social impact. Her work has appeared in Journal of Macromarketing, Journal of Consumer Marketing, Consumption, Markets and Culture, Qualitative Market Research and Journal of Marketing Management.
- Customer Experience Design
- Consumer Behaviour
- Strategic Brand Management
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Marketing for Social Change
- Social movements and gender justice
- Consumer culture in non-western contexts
- Feminist ethics and the politics of representation
- Gender and Transformative consumer research
Best Paper Award- El Jurdi, Hounaida & Ourahmoune, Nacima “Gender Justice and Social Movements- The Case of the October Revolution in Lebanon” GENMAC 2022 Conference
Refereed Journal Publications
- El Jurdi, Hounaida, Mona Moufahim & Ofer Dekel, (2021) “They Said We Ruined the Character and Our Religion”: Authenticity and Legitimation of Hijab Cosplay, Qualitative Marketing Review, 25 (1), 43-59. (Rating B- ABDC, H index 54, Q2, IS: 2.44)
- El Jurdi, Hounaida & Nacima Ourahmounce (2021), Revolution is a Woman: Feminization of the Arab Spring. Journal of Marketing Management special issue “Gender Impacts: Consumption, Markets, Marketing and Marketing Organizations”, 37 (3/4), 360-363. (Rating A- ABDC, H index 98, Q2, IS: 2.31)
- Ourahmoune, Nacima & Hounaida El Jurdi. (2021) Beauty Salons: A Marketplace Icon, Consumption, Markets and Culture. 24 (6), 611-619. (Rating B- ABDC, H index 29, Q2, IS: 2.06)
- El Jurdi, Hounaida & Roudaina Houjeir, (2020) Cultural Norms and the Marketplace: Favour Economies in the Arab World, Journal of Consumer Marketing. 37 (2), 226-235. (Rating A- ABDC, H index 66, Q2, IS: 2.74)
- El Jurdi, H., & Smith, S. (2018). Mirror, mirror: national identity and the pursuit of beauty. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 35(1), 40-50. (Rating A- ABDC, H index 98, Q2, IS: 2.31)
- El Jurdi, Hounaida A., Wided Batat, and Aliakbar Jafari (2017). “Harnessing the power of religion: Broadening sustainability research and practice in the advancement of ecology.”Journal of Macromarketing, 37 (1): 7-24. (Rating A- ABDC, H index 58, Q2, IS: 3.21)
- Ourahmoune, Nacima and El Jurdi, Hounaida (2022) Marketing and the Missing Feminisms: Decolonial Feminism, and the Arab Spring. In The Routledge Companion to Marketing and Feminism: (eds) Maclaran, P., Stevens, L., & Kravets, O.. 257-267. Routledge, 2022
- Cova, Bernard, Cova, Veronique, & El Jurdi, Hounaida. (2017). Ethnographies of a Mediterranean Vestaval: The Passeggiata. In Contemporary Consumer Culture Theory (pp. 148-169). Routledge.
- El Jurdi, Hounaida and Yehya, Nadine (2014) “AUB Medical Center (AUBMC) – In Search of a Vision”, IVEY Publishing.
- El Jurdi, Hounaida and Yehya, Nadine (2014) “AUB Medical Center (AUBMC) – Achieving 2020 Vision”, IVEY Publishing, forthcoming.
- Yehya, Nadine and El Jurdi, Hounaida (2014) “AUB Medical Center (AUBMC) Case A & B Teaching Note”, IVEY Publishing.
- El Jurdi, Hounaida “Spotlight on NZ: The New Zealand Wine Market” – Case - Ch.12 in “Consumer Behaviour” 6th Ed. by Quester, Pettigrew and Grimmer
- El Jurdi, Hounaida & Ourahmoune, Nacima “Gender Justice and Social Movements- The Case of the October Revolution in Lebanon” GENMAC 2022 Conference- **Best Paper AWARD**
- Decolonial views of the Body (Nacima Ourhamoune and Hounaida El Jurdi) – “Michael Taussig’s (2018) theory of the colonized body and the logics of otherness (alterity) through mimesis” in Radicalizing Gender Studies: Expanding our Theoretical Toolbox (accepted Seminar) Consumer Culture Theory Conference 2022.
- Mona, Moufahim & El Jurdi, Hounaida. “Tearing the invisibility cloak- The hijab in ads: a feminist post-colonial perspective of a stigmatised identity”, Interpretive Consumer Research Workshop- EMLyon May 2019.
- El Jurdi, Hounaida. and Mona, Moufahim. “Tearing the invisibility cloak- The hijab in ads: a feminist post-colonial perspective of a stigmatised identity”, Academy of Marketing Conference, Regents Park, UK, July 2019.
- El Jurdi, Hounaida. “Methodological Challenges When Doing Research In Refugee Communities– A Reflection ” Methodological Challenges in Research with Social Impact Workshop, Academy of Marketing Conference, Regents Park, UK, July 2019.
- El Jurdi, Hounaida, Mona, Moufahim., and Ofer, Dekel. ““They Said We Ruined the Character and Our Religion”: Authenticity and Legitimation of Hijab Cosplay”, Consumer Culture Theory Conference 2018- Odense SDU, (2018).
- El Jurdi, Hounaida, Zeynep, Baktir, and Linda, Price. (2017). “Socio-materiality and the Practice of Hope among Syrian Refugees in Spaces of Long-Term Displacement”, Consumer Culture Theory Conference, California.
- El Jurdi, Hounaida., Ourahmoune, Nacima., and Askegaard, Soren. (2016). “Beauty and the Social Imaginary: A Social Historical Analysis of the Lebanese Techno-Cosmetized Beauty Market”, Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Lille
- El Jurdi, Hounaida., Baktir, Zeynep. and Price Linda, L. “Practices of Hope Among Displaced Syrian Women Refugees”, Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Lille, (2016).
- El Jurdi, Hounaida. (2015). “Socio Moral Emotions in Market Based Relationships”, Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Fayetteville, USA
- El Jurdi, Hounaida. and Smith, Sandy. “Conceptualizations of Beauty and the Constructions of National Identity of Lebanese Women” Consumer Culture Theory Conference, (June) 2014, Helsinki, Finland.
- El Jurdi Hounaida “When to Use Negative Information: Self-Presentation and Problem/Solution Framing Effects” Society for Consumer Psychology Conference, 2011 (February), Atlanta, Georgia.
- El Jurdi Hounaida, and Fernandez, Karen. “Problem-Solution Framing: A New Look at Framing Effects in Advertising” Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, 2010 (December), Christchurch, New Zealand.
- El Jurdi Hounaida, and Fernandez, Karen. “Perceived Proximity of Valenced Information to the Self-Concept: Influences on Self-referencing Effects” Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Doctoral Colloquium, 2008, Sydney, Australia.
- El Jurdi Hounaida, and Fernandez, Karen. “Perceived Proximity to the Self: Conceptualization and Measurement” University of Auckland Business School Conference 2008, Auckland, New Zealand.